Since its establishment in 1994, our department aims to train talented engineers and future academics who can respond to the rapidly growing demands of the electronic advancements; and works to inspire innovations by conducting research in the field of electronic technologies.
Firstly, Electronic and Communication Engineering Master Degree Program has been initiated in 1998.
Then, the Ph. D. program started accepting students in 2005. With the help of acquired experience, the undergraduate program has started in 2003-2004 in order to meet the requirement of engineer demand in the rapidly developing communication sector.
Our department continues to academic researches and; undergraduate and graduate education programs with 14 faculty members who educated in prestigious universities and 18 research assistants.
Objectives of our programme
1. They work in research, development, design and production processes in academia or industry in Electronics and Communication Engineering and related disciplines. They can take managerial and administrative responsibilities at various levels.
2. They can complete master’s and doctorate programs at international standards and engage in academic activities.
3. As entrepreneurial individuals, they can establish companies with current and advanced technology in the fields of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
Currently, 311 undergraduate, 97 M.S and 22 Ph. D. degree students are enrolled in our department. 328 B.S., 37 M.S. and 17 Ph. D. degree students have been graduated from our department.
Number of Students: 311
Number of Student / Faculty member Rate:
311/33 = 10 students to 1 teaching staff
ECTS (European Credit Transfer System), ECTS Diploma Supplement
Erasmus Contracted Countries:
Austria, Germany, Poland, Italy, Sweden, Lithuania, Romania, Spain, Denmark, France, Belgium, Czechia, Greece, Netherlands, Hungary, Portugal.
Internships and Technical Trips
Electrical and Electronics Engineering undergraduate students are required to perform engineering internship for twenty working days in two summer terms. Internships should preferably be carried out in different companies, such that 20 working days in the summer after the 2nd year and 20 working days in the summer after the 3rd year. Our students can perform their summer practice in Aselsan, TAI-TUSAS, Vestel, Turkcell, Vodafone, Arcelik, Bosch, TUBITAK Research Centers, Turk Telekom and TurkSat as well as in some small or medium sized companies. Technical trips are organized to companies such as TAI-TUSAS, Aselsan and Vestel for our students to see the business environments and to increase their knowledge and experience.
Our graduates are employed by leading companies on their sectors and they have the opportunity to continue their education at local and foreign universities.
Our senior students can find part-time work opportunities in various companies and some of them set up their own companies. At this point, Teknopark İzmir, which is located on our campus, create a very good opportunity and it provides very good potential for our students to develop themselves and turn their ideas into products.
Where Our Graduates Work
Aselsan, TAI-TUSAS, Havelsan, Roketsan, TUBITAK Research Centers, Meteksan Defense Industry, Ericsson, Siemens, TTtech auto, Turkcell, Vodafone, Nokia, Huawei, Turk Telekom, ULAK, Vestel, Arçelik, Bosch, Airties, Netas, Enka, State Airports Authority (SAA), THY, etc.
The researches conducted in our department can be stated as;
- Communication Theory, Networks and Systems,
- Electromagnetics, Antenna, Microwave,
- Optical Communication and Fiber-Optic Sensors,
- Image and Biomedical Signal Processing;
- System and Control Theory,
- Embedded Systems,
- Bioelectronic Device Technologies,
- Biosensors, and Nano/Biotechnology.
There are many national and international projects which have been conducted and contributed in these research areas and their sub-divisions. Some of these projects involve direct industry cooperation, and some of them can be regarded as pure academic researches. The researches that are performed by our academics, ongoing projects, and detailed information about our department can be found on the remaining pages of our website.
Some of Our Research Projects
- SCION: Secured and Intelligent Massive Machine-to-Machine Communication for 6G, Assoc.Prof.Dr.Berna Özbek, HORIZON Europe, 2022-2026.
- FOSAS-MICRO-HEAT: Fiber optic sensor assisted safe industrial microwave heating system, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kıvılcım YÜKSEL ALDOĞAN, Project Coordinator, transnational cooperative research and development project, 2021-2024.
RECENT: Ultra-Dense Unsupervised Heterogeneous Wireless Cloud Coded Networks for 5G/B5G, Assoc.Prof.Dr. Berna Özbek, H2020-MSCA-RISE-2018, 2019-2023.
Investigation of graphene micromembrane production and its usability in microbioparticle detection, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Müjdat Balantekin, Project Coordinator, TUBITAK 117F186,2017-2019.
- Determination and Estimation of Molecular Information in Molecular Communication, Prof.Dr.Barış Atakan, Project Coordinator, TÜBİTAK 115E362, 2015-2017.
- Secure Multi-input Multi-output Wireless Communication System Based on Time-Spatial Signature, Assoc.Prof.Dr.Berna Özbek, Project Coordinator, TÜBİTAK 114E626, 2014-2016.
In the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, we have various education and research laboratories which students can benefit during their education.
- Wireless and Mobile Communications Laboratory,
- Bio-Inspired Multi-Scale Communications Laboratory
- Embedded-systems and Electronics Laboratory,
- Digital Systems Laboratory,
- Biomedical Information Processing Laboratory,
- Machine Intelligence Research and Applications Laboratory (MIRALAB)
- Photonics & Lightwave Laboratory,
- Optical Fiber Metrology and Sensors Laboratory,
- Control Laboratory (undergraduate),
- Circuit Analysis Laboratory (undergraduate),
- Electronic Laboratory (undergraduate),
- Communication Laboratory (undergraduate),
- Bioelectronic Laboratory,
- Microwaves and Antennas Laboratory,
- Computational Electromagnetics Laboratory.